Andechs und Mehr

Germany continues its gradual return to normalcy, outdoor sports no longer require tests nor have participant limits, indoor dining opens tomorrow, and the Google offices are scheduled to open week after next. All of which means I'm spending more time out doing things and less writing about them. In particular the return of Frisbee means I have the opportunity to practice 3 nights a week which cuts into my trip planning and blog writing time. That said last weekend was another company wide day off to give folks in the US an extra day for Memorial day weekend. Per the recommendation of a coworker I took the S-Bahn to Ammersee one of the local finger lakes. 

Aside from the lake itself the other attraction is Kloster Andechs an abby with associated brewery. I took the bus from the train station but there's a bit of a walk up the hill on which the abby sits.


The view from the top was definitely worth it.

I felt weird taking pictures inside the extremely ornate church but the steeple should give some indication.

Naturally I had so stop for a beer at the biergarten which had a great view over the production area. I like the modern building hiding behind the older barns.

Since the trains run fairly frequently and it was still early I opted to walk back rather than take the bus. Here's another view of the steeple from the trail.

Here's the trail itself following the outer wall of the abby grounds.

The trail then descends down to a valley where it runs parallel to a creek.
The trails were all well maintained so even though I had to make some tough navigational choices I was never really concerned about getting lost.

Sure enough I made it back into town and didn't need to wait too long for a train. It was a nice relaxing ride back home. I particularly enjoyed the fields of yellow flowers. 

On Saturday I went on a bike ride through Perlacher Forst. There's a 3 mile long paved bike path that goes straight through it which makes for very easy riding. 
As I am wont to do, I took a different route home which included this rather idillic meadow.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zu Hause und in der Stadt

Deutsches Museum

The Final Countdown