Sonne und etwas Regen

Over the past couple weeks thing here have been trending in a decidedly positive direction. The case rates have dropped out of the most restrictive tier so things like outdoor dining have started reopening. On the weekend of May 8th I went for a bike ride south down the Isar to Grünwalder Brücke. The last third or so of the trail there was all gravel so I had to walk my bike for a few sections. Luckily it was pretty.

The bridge itself is unremarkable but as you can see it was a great day for biking.

I rode back on the other side of the river which was paved the whole way. Lots of people out enjoying the sun, biking, picnicking, even a couple of kayakers. I stopped for lunch at a roadside stand, the fish this guy was grilling looked good but more work than I wanted so I opted for a wurst instead.

On Sunday my friend Yuchen, who I met through my roommate when we both lived in San Francisco, convinced me join him and a couple friends for the "Wings for Life World Run". You download an app and everyone across the world starts running at once, after 30 minutes a virtual chase car starts an your race ends once it catches you. I'm not much of a distance runner so I was happy with my 11km. Here's the view from perhaps the 3/4 mark.

And here we are enjoying some well earned post race beers.

Our race happened to end near the US consulate so I had to get a picture of flag.

On Wednesday outdoor team sports were allowed to resume practicing provided everyone present had a negative test and registered to allow for contact tracing if needed. For me this meant the return of ultimate! I was finally able to meet the team I'd gotten in contact with a couple months ago. The captains and coaches led us through plenty of warmups then it was game time. Even a the rain couldn't dampen the pure joy of getting to play again.


Thursday was Ascension day which is a holiday in Bavaria. Despite the rain I found an open biergarten since they were allowed to open as well. Similar requirements to frisbee practice, negative test, register for contact tracing, and wear a mask whenever you're not at your table. I ended up having lunch there, I went for a Bavarian specialty, Jungschweinebraten which is pork roast in dark beer sauce with a potato dumpling and red cabbage. The sauce was a bit salty but it hit the spot on a cold wet day.


The rain was forecast to continue through the weekend so I stuck around the city and didn't get up to too much. The weather actually ended up being more sun than rain which I appreciated for Sunday frisbee practice. I did get in a couple walks through the city as well. Here are some interesting clouds over the Englischer Garten. 

I also took another walk around Schloss Nymphenburg which is looking more colorful and has the fountains going.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zu Hause und in der Stadt

Deutsches Museum

The Final Countdown