Essen Zu Hause

 Inspired by a local restaurant I attempted to make Kartoffelknödel (potato dumplings) and Apfelblaukraut (red cabbage) for dinner last week . The red cabbage was fairly simple and one head makes plenty of leftovers.

The potatoes were a bit more work since they needed to be cooked, mashed, formed and then steamed. They tasted good but the texture wasn't the same as those served by the restaurant. I may have picked the wrong type of potatoes or maybe my impatience (and lack of tools) during the mashing step did me in.

I cooked some vegetarian sausages as my protein since I don't eat much meat these days. The plate looks authentic and tasted good too.


Though I had to buy them online, I now have sufficient food storage containers that I can cook dinner twice a week and eat leftovers the rest of the time. I've been slowly sampling the local restaurants as well, mostly on weekends. Since Germany is known for their bread I've been having sandwiches for lunch. I started out with mustard and cheese, but recently switched to hummus and vegetables. Peanut butter has proven much easier to obtain than when I was in Hungary so I have that as well in case I get lazy. 

The two grocery stores I visit most often both have bread counters so I've been working my way through all the bread types available. I didn't record the name of this first one which I may not get again since it was a challenge to cut for sandwiches. 

This is called Dinkel-Herse and was hearty and moist.

This is Sechskornbrot or six grain bread and was pretty similar to its american equivalent though denser and less sweet.


I have not tried comparing breads between stores or bakeries but it will probably happen eventually. Add other baked goods into the mix and I'll have enough content to make this into a food blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zu Hause und in der Stadt

Deutsches Museum

The Final Countdown