To Lenbachhaus

 I found out the other week that my landlady periodically hires a cleaner for the apartment so we scheduled the first appointment for the weekend of March 13. In the interest of Covid safety and avoiding awkwardness I opted to be out of the apartment while it was being cleaned. I planned to take advantage of the newly reopened museums since the weather wasn't forecasted to be particularly nice. I decided on the Münchner Stadtmuseum (Munich city museum) since I figured it wouldn't be high on the list for locals. As far as I could tell from the website they required masks and recommended contactless payment. 

I started out Saturday morning with a detour to a coffee and pastry shop called Chocolab which seems to have great SEO since their Google map pin seems to show up frequently. I had a coffee and a gooey fudge brownie. The brownie was decadent but I prefer the coffee from the cafe a few doors down from me. 

Despite the detour I still arrived at the museum before it opened. Luckily the courtyard had a few bilingual placards to keep me occupied. As well as munich specific manhole covers. 

Once they opened I used my limited German to ask the two women behind the counter about a ticket. I understood little of their response and the conversation quickly switched to English. Unfortunately tickets apparently required an advanced phone reservation which had to be made during weekday working hours.  Luckily had researched some other museums so I had a backup plan, the Lenbachhaus art museum. I booked a time entry ticket which gave me 30 minutes to get to the museum.

On the walk between the two I passed by the Karolinenplatz Obelisk which I later learned commemorates the relationship between Bavaria and France in the early 19th century.
I also passed the Amerika Haus whose goal is "is to inform the public, especially younger generations, about the importance of the transatlantic relations between Bavaria and North America". I'll add it to my list though not at the top.

Lenbachhaus is on Königsplatz which looked to be the site of some sort of political protest or rally. From the signs it might have been the ODP. There were probably 30 police vans parked around the square. I didn't get many pictures since I didn't want to become embroiled in anything or make the police suspicious. The picture below shows one side of the square and maybe 1/4 of the police vans.

I sat on a bench in the square for a bit since I walk quickly so I had time to kill before my allotted entrance time. I couldn't tell if the rally was still getting started or winding down but it was something to watch. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zu Hause und in der Stadt

Deutsches Museum

The Final Countdown