Stadtmuseum, Kirchen, Einkaufszentren

 Once again the forecast called for rain so I decided to actually visit the Stadtmuseum. I was able to buy a ticket online though the website was unclear on what was actually open. I arrived and entered without a problem but it turned out only one wing was open which turned out to be another art exhibit,  World in Transition. From Otto Dix to August Sander – Art of the 1920s. The exhibit was interesting enough including some paintings of trains and factories which I enjoyed. No pictures allowed though and shorter english descriptions so I did not end up spending too much time there. The permanent exhibit I wanted to see "Typically Munich!" remains closed. This may turn into a 'Hungarian parliament' situation which long time readers will recall took me at least 3 tries to finally visit. 

Since the weather was more unsettled than outright rainy I decided to take a look at inside the churches in the old town. There appeared to be an event around Peterskirche since once again there were multiple police vans and clusters of police around. I proceeded to Frauenkirche which was mercifully nearly deserted.

This is the Cenotaph of Emperor Louis IV who is buried in the crypt under the altar.
Conveniently a break in the clouds outside illuminated the stained glass nicely.
After a lap around the church I decided it was time for lunch. I'd been craving the Hungarian dessert Túró Rudi so I decided to see what I could find. It turns out that there was a Hungarian food kiosk not to far away which I set out to find. According to Google it was located inside a mall. I had to fill out a contact form when I entered so I guess they could notify me if someone reported a Covid outbreak. I wandered around aimlessly for a while, I can't remember the last time I was in a mall. I ended up on the top floor which had a pretty cool dome.
And a view to the ground floor. 
The foodcourt at the top floor was closed and I thought I was out of luck. Taking a closer look at the images on Google maps I realized that the mall had a subterranean entrance directly connected to the subway and that's where the food stand was. Sure enough once I made it down there I was able to procure my Túró Rudi and a supremely unhealthy Lángos (deep fried flatbread) for lunch.

I plotted a longer route home that took me by another church St. Paul which as also open and empty.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zu Hause und in der Stadt

Deutsches Museum

The Final Countdown