Deutsches Museum

 The weather forecast for Saturday of the long easter weekend called for rain so I booked a ticket for the Deutsches Museum which is billed as the largest science and technology museum in the world. It does have its own island which you may remember as the location for my covid test to break quarantine. Like the Nymphenburg palace grounds the Deutsches Museum also has an app which I started out by promptly ignoring and checking out the Mine exhibit. 

As you can see the exhibit is styled as a replica cave with scale replicas representing different types of mining. They did keep things to scale as seen by this doorway.
I appreciated the coal mining section, having visited an actual coal mine in Pennsylvania. The exhibit did an excellent job capturing the claustrophobia (though perhaps my photography did not).
The machine room representing more modern mines even smelled like a machine shop which I assume is realistic.
Once out of the mines I opted to actually follow the Apps suggested highlights tour. I started out in the marine navigation section where they have a multitude of boats.

The real draw however is one level down. U1, Germany's first submarine all 42.39 meters of it with the side opened up. Much like the mines, the submarine looked quite cramped and I can't imagine trying to sleep on their bunks. I have actually spent the night on a submarine (the USS Pampanito) but it was significantly larger and I was significantly smaller.

The hall with the submarine also included detailed models of warships from the past couple centuries. Interestingly they've edited the insignia on the battleships despite this being a museum and presumably exempt from section 86a.
Next stop on the tour was the Machine Tools wing made to look like a 19th century machine hall. According to the app they also do live demonstrations but due to Covid they're on pause.
Next I headed upstairs to see a number of not particularly photogenic exhibits including a standard meter and an Engima machine. In the music room I did come across this awesome piano which could double as a space ship.

Eventually I made it up to the roof which had some excellent views of the city. This is looking west to the city center.
And this is looking south down the Isar.
The top of the museum also marked the top of my museum quota, so I opted to head home. Optimistically I'd estimate I saw 1/5 of the museum so definitely plenty more to explore whenever it does reopen. On the way home I passed this tree which seems to be ahead of the game in terms of spring cheer.


Comments

  1. Replies
    1. It shouldn't be, I'm trying to set the posting dates to be when I actually took the photos so perhaps the ordering is strange due to that?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Zu Hause und in der Stadt

The Final Countdown